entitled...


this is what our water looked like this morning. i was appalled. i thought to myself, "what in the world is going on? i pay for water, i should not have to deal with this. i have a right to clean water." and then i stopped in my tracks... i realized that i am not entitled to it. in fact, millions around the world do not have clean water. i know this because i have been interested in this charity for quite some time now. it began as an interest in the founder's amazing photography and grew into a love for those people who have to drink the kind of water that came out of my faucet this morning. i am fortunate to have water. it is a priveledge. as i tried to find out what was going on - which meant multiple calls to many government offices - i started thinking about the clothes i had in the wash, the tea i wanted to make, my shower later this evening. to me, even doing those tasks in that water was unthinkable, much less actually drinking the water. and then i thought of my precious niece and nephew (both born in africa) and wondered if they had to drink and use that kind of water. that broke my heart. look at them. they are the cutest little bugs you will ever see. we need to be appalled that any child has to use dirty water. we need to make a change. i know he is. so check out charity:water and help him out. an hour or so later i turned the water on and it ran clear. no one knows what happened. maybe it was God's way to get my attention. His way of letting me know that there are people all over the world that should be entitled to clean water. maybe He was reminding me that He wants me to do something about it.

1 comments:

this is us said...

the water at avi's orphanage was just a bit lighter in color than that water in your picture. very surreal to watch your child drinking that water and just let him since you know it's what he's been drinking all his life!