flannel and i are no longer friends...

so i made this cute, cute cutie blanket for my friend at church who is pregnant. it is all pink and white and cute. well, i got some equally pinky cuteness in flannel to back the quilt. so i started quilting and the stinking flannel shifted. and i am not just talking a smidge. it was nearly and inch and a half. so it totally messed up my super cute blanket. i tried to bind the edges and cover up the flannel's display of hatred toward me, but it didn't work. i should probably post a picture of the horror and maybe i will tomorrow. anyone have any tips? or should i just continue to despise flannel backing for the rest of eternity? on the bright side, our chihuahua now has a super cute blankie.

2 comments:

MelB said...

you crack me up. I will send my friend to your blog. maybe she can help you. I didn't know you had a chihuahua too. did I miss something?

Unknown said...

Mel's friend here ....

I think what you need to do is cast some very long (like 2 inches or so) running stiches across various areas of the quilt to attach the backing to the quilt. These stitches will keep everything together while you do the "real" attaching, but can easily be removed afterward.

Note: I'm not really a quilter, but I "get" the concepts and quilting is in my genes, so to speak.